This post contains affiliate links for your convenience.
A few months ago, we came across a new book series called Zoey and Sassafras by Asia Citro. It has quickly become our favorite new series!
Here’s a quick overview of the series. Zoey, a young girl who is really into science, and her cat, Sassafras, help injured magical animals. Readers learn all about the scientific method in a way that is fun and easy to understand.
Reasons we Love this Book
- Zoey is a smart, determined young girl who doesn’t give up when things are difficult.
- It makes science fun and easy to understand.
- There’s nothing scary, mean, or rude. This might seem like a strange point, but for some of my kids, it’s really important. So many children’s books have scary, mean, or rude characters, and my kids just don’t like reading that kind of stuff. We spent a long time reading several different series, and this was the first one we found that had a great storyline with a positive tone.
There are currently 4 books in this series. You can grab them on Amazon using the links below.
I enjoyed this book so much that I created a complete novel study to go along with it, and then we read it together again 🙂
Interested in our novel study? Here’s what is included.
- Activity Packet-For every chapter, there is an activity for a variety of different skills, including:
Reading, Writing, Grammar
- Vocabulary Journal-For each chapter, there are 2 vocabulary words. Rather than just memorize words and definitions, students practice using the words in sentences and draw pictures about the words, helping them gain a better understanding of the book and the words.
- Comprehension Cards-For each chapter there are 3 comprehension questions. Each card has 1 question with the chapter and page number listed for easy reference.